How to season Santa Maria grill grates?
There are several methods you can use to season your Santa Maria grill grate. I personally prefer using animal fat. After cooking lightly clean your grates with a brush. This will remove large chunks of food from the grate but be careful not to remove all the grease this helps protect the grates especially steel. Each time after I recommend using the same seasoning method below this will help clean and keep them seasoned.
Total time: 10 minutes
- Animal Fat
- Tongs or Meat hook
- Buy untrimmed beef or Chicken with skin.
- Trim your beef and save the Fat – or – pull the skin off one piece of chicken
- Light up your Santa Maria Grill or Argentine Grill
- Place the fat or skin on top of the grill.
- wait for the fat to melt
- Rub the melted fat over the grill grate.
- after seasoning the entire grate discard the fat.
- Place your meat on the grill and cook.
Other fats can be used to season your grill grate but animal fat works the best.